Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Singleness

So I've been single for about a year now God and while I know you haven't forgot about me there are times when it's hard. Just being honest.

But then at the same times there are times when I truly love being single. This past week I spent 5 days in California, 3 of which were at this amazing women's conference called Godchicks where I was introduced to the incredible teaching of Priscilla Shirer. Tonight I was looking on her blog site and stumbled upon some of her teachings/interviews about single hood and was so encouraged. Being single isn't something that one is called to, so even though at times I remind God, "um so I'm getting older Jesus and there's seriously no prospects around...at all! How is this going to happen?" he only has me single for a season. Jesus likes to work in seasons, there have been seasons in my life where it was hard, for example when I graduated college at the top 25% of my class, double-major and yet couldn't find a real job for 4 years, that was a really tough season but it was exactly that...a season. And after 4 years of waiting on God, He gave me the most amazing job ever, something that I would have never thought I would love but I totally do and I'm seriously blessed to work with some of the most humble, selfless, loving people ever!

I know me being single is just for a season and some days I'm okay with that but somedays its hard, I get lonely, I miss the affection that occurs in a relationship and the feeling of having your best friend who adores you. But most days, I just remind myself that this is a season, and in the current season I'm in I have the amazing opportunity to spend my time how I want, whether that be working out, spending time with my girlfriends, watching chick flicks, flying around the country to visit loved ones, friends or going to encouraging women's conferences like Godchicks.

Everything is about perspective, I can either look at this season as lonely because I'm not in a relationship or I can look at it as me being fortunate to have all my time to spend with those I love and loving on my savior. Priscilla in her blog said, "don't think that being married isn't hard, it's hard just like singleness is hard but it's a different kind of hard, especially once kid's come into the picture." So if you're reading this and you're single know that this is just for a season. Don't lower your standards, keep trusting God, be open to dating (this is more a reminder for me because well dating doesn't mean what the world says, but it's being open to getting to know people better, not being afraid) and enjoy where you are at currently because this season will pass and you don't want to miss out on great opportunities.

When I was looking for a job I had my sights set on what I wanted and honestly looking back, if God would have given me what I wanted I would not be as happy and fulfilled as I am currently. He is faithful. And I know that He wants what's best in all areas of my life. I will not settle, I will not bend, I will not believe what society says or thinks, I will not shrink to accommodate for anyone, I will be me, I will be the daughter that He has called me to be, the amazing woman that He has formed me to be, I will believe what He says about me and I will wait for my confident, Jesus adoring, whole, loving, serving, strong, incredibly anointed, passionate, humble man to come into my life.



Michelle

P.S. Check out this awesome song, I'm loving it!

No comments:

Post a Comment